One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cleaning Recipes Part 1

I've been meaning to do this for a long time, so I'm posting some of my favorite recipes for DIY household products and cleaners. With these I cannot stress enough, please label your containers! I use glass to store my powders. Generally recycled fruit and pasta sauce jars and sometimes if I'm desperate pickle jars. But, please label, label, label!

All purpose cleaner 1
2 Tbsp Borax
1 qt. Hot water
Mix well together and pour into spray bottle. It will need to be shaken together as it separates if not used all in one day of cleaning.
Shelf Life (SL): Indefinite

All Purpose Cleaner 2
1 tsp Super Washing Soda
2 tsp Borax
½ cup Castile Soap (I really like Dr. Bronners)
10-15 drops of whatever essential oil you like
Mix all of these ingredients in a 16 oz spray bottle or double and put in a qt. bottle.
SL: Indefinite

Carpet deodorizer
2 cups of baking soda
20-30 drops of essential oil
Blend together very well and pour into a shaker bottle. I use the cheap glass ones at my local big box store (even the parmesan glass containers would work but won’t hold two cups of baking soda so adjust accordingly). Shake onto carpet and sweep in with a broom or brush. Let sit for a half hour or for heavy odors overnight. Vaccuum up.
SL: Indefinite

Dishwasher soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup Baking soda
Mix together and pour into a glass container for storage.
SL: Indefinite

Air Freshener
1 cup warm water
5-10 drops of favorite essential oil or blend
Mix together in a small spray bottle and use as needed.
SL: Indefinite

No comments:

Post a Comment