One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

One of my versions of crock pot chili

Today is a throw it in the crock day. And it's vegetarian (probably vegan but I didn't look closely at the ingredients in the cans)

Here it is:

3/4 pound of dried kidney beans (these were already prepped and in the freezer ready to go. So, it's probably about 5 cups of beans prepped)
1 14 oz. can black beans
1 14 oz. can garbanzo beans
4 14 oz. cans zesty chili seasoned tomatoes
4 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp onion powder
1 large onion chopped
9 oz. green chilis
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper, garlic salt, paprika

Throw it all in the crock pot and let simmer for 8 hours. Top with shredded cheddar and serve with brown rice or whatever floats your boat.

**Warning, if you're not going to be home during the day to stir this one add some olive oil (about 2 tbsp to the crock to help prevent some overcooking). I usually make this when I know I'm going to be home and able to stir throughout the day so the tomatoes don't burn. Nothing like burnt chili to turn you off!
And one more thing.... I go by smell usually when cooking so I know if it needs to be reseasoned. I also like my seasonings on the heavier side. If you don't adjust as needed. And since this is vegetarian this is one of those things that if you are giving an occasional stir throughout the day to also give a quick taste to make sure it suits your desires.

1 comment:

  1. What a great recipe! I am a huge chili fan (both my DH & I make separate versions, and I adore them both). And what a great tip about adding the olive oil if you're going to be out of the kitchen... I think I could apply that to a lot of my slow-cooker meals!

    ~Elizabeth
    http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete