One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Some favorite green "recipes"....

Toilet scrubbing:
About 2 Tbsp Borax
A few drops of your favorite essential oil, I recommend eucalyptus because the scent goes nice with tto.
A few drops of tea tree oil (tto).

Put into toilet and scrub well with a brush. I let it sit for a few minutes after brushing so everything can settle and I can see if I need to swish the brush around once more.

I love baking soda as well. It really is a multi-tasker. Cooking, cleaning, personal care... The works. I buy the big bag from a bulk store like Costco and then break it down into smaller containers for various areas at home. I have one obviously in the kitchen because I do a lot of baking when the motivation hits, one in the laundry room, one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom or wherever the shoes happen to be.

For my laundry I do the following:
2 cups of Borax
2 cups of Super Washing Soda (sold in some stores and can be hard to find, but you can call 1-800-524-1328 with the UPC of 33200-03020 to locate it at a store near you)
1/2 cup of Baking Soda
20-30 drops of mixed essential oils to make whatever scents I want. Right now I have eucalyptus and tea tree oil mix. I can't decide what my next batch will be.
To use in laundry I measure 1-2 Tbsp depending on load size. 3 Tbsp(which equals 1/4 cup) if it's heavily soiled. And this will last quite a while. However, I only use this on our clothes and some of DC's outerwear like jackets and blankets. DC has sensitive skin so for the clothes that touch skin we still use Purex Free and Clear. I also wouldn't use my homeade soap on DC's cloth diapers. For that I recommend sticking with Purex Free and Clear and I've also heard that Crunchy Clean works wonders on cloth diapers.

Come back for more recipes later. Right now, my nighttime nursling is calling to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment