One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Friday, October 30, 2009

Cream of Potato Soup



I have had the worst craving for this so I broke down and threw some stuff together. It turned out awesome!

5 medium/large white potatoes peeled and diced
5 large cloves of garlic minced
1 medium onion diced fine
1 pint of HEAVY cream
1 cup of reserved potato water plus any additional possibly needed (you'll need to judge)
2 chicken boullion cubes
3/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 heaping tablespoons (probably a total of 4 measured) flour
3TBSP butter
2TBSP butter
2 stalks celery diced fine

Peel and dice potatoes and boil until almost fork tender (once water came to a boil about 8 minutes for me).

In another pan place onion, celery and 3TBSP of butter. Place on low and sweat the veggies until just soft. Add garlic and mix together. Add flour and mix in very well. (I had to add probably 1/4 cup of potato water to help get the consistency a little less like one huge clump.)

In the actual reserved cup of water (I had to add to it because I used some for above) dissolve two chicken boullion cubes.

Drain potatoes. Place in the same pot (I'm a big proponent of saving myself from doing dishes) the broth and potatoes, then the roux like mixture, 2 TBSP of butter, seasoning and the pint of heavy cream. Mix it all together and heat until the mixture starts to boil. When it boils turn it down to low so that it justs barely simmers. Cook for about 30 minutes.

It will probably need more salt and pepper to suit your personal tastes in your bowl. I garnished mine with chopped green onion and sharp cheddar cheese. On my second bowl I added just a tiny bit more butter and mixed it in. Divine! And it was nice and thick just the way I wanted it. And yes, I will be figuring out how I can make this in my crock pot to have on hand during the winter. I would say this will comfortably feed 4 people. I had a big salad with mine so that's why I'm guessing 4 servings. Maybe a nice fruit salad on the side as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment