One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Reusable Nursing Pads

So, I have heard wonderful things about Artsy Fartsy Foo Foo Milk Maids. These are waterproof nursing pads that are phenomenal. A friend gave me a pair last week as a gift which I've been lucky enough to try. I had originally been using the cotton ones from Dr. Browns which are completely worthless if you have a forceful letdown. I leak through them in seconds and since I'm a jeans an tee shirt kind of gal I had huge wet spots on my shirts. You have to have luck and agility on your side to snag a pair of these when she stocks and it is very well worth it. I have been too slow to snag a pair up because my internet connection always seems to go down right as I add them to my cart.

So, a few weeks ago I got tired of the leaking and having to keep my moby wrap on me even without the baby in there while in public. I decided to try my hand at making my own reusable waterproof nursing pads. Granted they do work. I used leftover PUL, hemp fleece and some flannel to make mine. They are not pretty by any means nor are they perfect circles like the Milk Maids. But, they did work and I now have two pairs of nursing pads in rotation. I have a pair of the Milk Maids and a pair of my own.

I originally had two pairs of my own but my wonderful hubs lost the first pair I made and I can't find them anywhere. So, someone at the laundromat probably looked at them and couldn't figure out what they were and trashed them. So my hard work went to pot. I used a pair of the Dr. Brown's as my template and just figured it out from there. From this, I have learned I can't sew circles any better than I can draw them. It's not easy! And to leave the sewing of circles to the professionals....for now. I have some things I'd like to sew that are circles but nursing pads are not on my list unless I'm in dire straights as I had been these past few weeks. For now if I need more I'm going to keep stalking Hyena Cart and I know I'll pick some up one of these next few stockings since I can start anticipating when the internet is going down here. That's a story all in itself though. Here's my feeble attempt so you can have the comparison. ;-)


1 comment:

  1. Nice work. The Hubs here doesn't understand why I can't just sew my own. #1 - I don't have a serger so can't get them flat and finished on the edges and #2 - I can't sew circles, not that I've tried. =)

    ReplyDelete