One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Crockpot Meatloaf

I had some ladies over the other night and I made a meatloaf in the crockpot. It actually turned out pretty good. The whole meal actually worked out because I only used the crockpot or the microwave for the entire thing. Now, I'm not a fan of beef much anymore but I really wasn't sure of what to make that would be pleasing because these were new friends that I had met and I didn't know what their food style was. I figured a meatloaf was going to be pretty easy and the least offensive. It was. Let's start with dessert though....

I made an almond poundcake in the crockpot the night before. I had a mix from Tastefully Simple lying around and I wanted to use it up. I also did it using what I had on hand. Since I'm supposed to be dairy free I didn't have much real butter in the house. I had 4 tablespoons left in the fridge from when my mom was visiting over the winter break. So that along with my vegan butter is what I used for the required butter component of the mix. Also, you need to spray the heck out of the stone. I only half-assed it because I wasn't fully paying attention since Tot was hanging around. So, when I say spray it I mean it. Don't miss an inch. Mix the batter according to package directions and then put it in the stone on low for about 4 hours or until the toothpick comes out of the center clean. I did this the night before when I was frantically cleaning off my kitchen table of all the craft projects and hidden poptart crumbs Tot left behind.

The meatloaf:
1 lb ground beef
1 packet of onion soup mix
1/2 onion diced very fine (With my love of garlic what's not to like about onions, they're relatives.)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 egg
3/4 c breadcrumbs
1/4 c warm water
3/4 c barbecue sauce (I used Jack Daniels Spicy Original)

Mix it all together. Shape it into one of them mini loaf pans. Mine was frozen when I went to put it in the crock so it would hold together better. I was also able to just run the loaf pan under warm water to get the pan off so I could stick the brick of meat in the crock. I cooked it on high for six hours with some carrots in there and a topping of sauce. And serve on the side was extra sauce warmed up for anyone that wanted it. I threw some squash in the microwave and the meal was done. Very easy and the best part was that it was very lazy. ;-)

There aren't any pics because I didn't think of it. And Daredevil has been a little under the weather all week so she grabs anything that looks shiny and tries to shove it in her mouth. Teething is such a bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment