One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wool obsession

I didn't put Tot in much wool because I really didn't understand it. And Hubs was worried about how he was going to be able to handle it. When Daredevil came along I had two pieces because I was learning to knit (and I still am) and I figured I'd give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? Really it's just pee. Well, the worst thing that could happen is that you fall in love with it and become obsessed on obtaining more! Since that's not a financially feasible thing to buy here I'm doing the next best thing. I'm making it myself. There are some adorable wool diapering garments out there but many of them are well out of my price range at $50 on up. With a little patience so far I've made several soakers and a couple pairs of longies just scouring the internet for free patterns and also doing a little trial and error as I go. I'm currently working on a project that is for Daredevil and it will be of the cover function but for now that one's under wraps because I'm messing around with it a little bit to see fully what I come up with.

What's so great about wool you ask? Well, it provides breathability. A lot of it. And for babes with sensitive skin like mine they get a lot of benefit from having air able to get at their skin. Doesn't it get soaked? Well, yes and no. Wool when properly cared for has this wonderful ability to retain it's weight (and then a little more) when wet. So, if I put on a diaper that's reasonably stuffed for Daredevil's peeing abilities for overnight with a wool cover I can be guaranteed that I wake up with a dry bed. And the lanolin acts as a scrubber to neutralize the urine. They can be worn several times (often a couple weeks) before needing to be washed again. Once it starts smelling like urine is when it's time to wash it. Now if you're using it during the newborn stage you're going to get poop on it because let's face it...poop happens. Just wash and lightly lanolize. Or don't even bother lanolizing because it's going to get washed again the next time it's worn right? And if you're doing frequent changes compression leaks from the baby sitting on the floor playing or even in the carseat don't really happen. If you notice that the wool is starting to feel damp it's definitely time for a diaper change.

Wool is fantastic though. With Daredevil I currently have two pairs of longies that I put on her on the cold or windy days here. They keep her warm and dry. And because the wool is breathable it would work to also keep her cool if wearing them on the warm days. She's not overheating, I promise. And the other great thing about wool is that you can really find a lot to match your personality or tastes depending on what you're buying. If you have even basic knitting or crocheting skills and a little time you can make them yourself. There are lots of options out there. And you can always have that secret wishlist of what you'd like to try. On mine I have an interlock pair either by Sbish or a custom by Once Upon A Baby on etsy. I borrowed a soaker from a friend who had one made by the latter and I loved it. Daredevil was incredibly comfortable and it was great for a marathon of errands.

Isn't it hard to care for? Nope. I have a little tub that I use to care for mine. I got it in the kitchen department. It's used for washing dishes. I put in my wool wash and run some very warm water and swish it around. And I add some liquid lanolin or some solid like Lansinoh used for breastfeeding. About the size of a dime and I put my piece(s) in and swirl them around briefly to get wet and capture the lanolin droplets floating in the water. I let it sit for about a half hour. Then I gently wring out excess water. I put the piece in a towel and roll it up to get more water out and then I line dry it. It dries for me in a day here because there's no humidity to really speak of. In the colder climates though it did take about two days to dry unless I put it in a sunny spot near (but not on) a heater. I currently have 8 pieces in rotation and I'm working on more. A couple are crocheted soakers (underwear style) that were felted (put in the washer on hot until they shrunk to where I wanted them and then dried). Two pairs of longies (pants) and a pair of shorties (shorts). I also have a pair of longies for Daredevil to wear next year. They were for Tot but he refused to wear them so they have to sit for another year until she's ready to wear them. Give it a try. I assume no responsibility for the obsession that follows.

No comments:

Post a Comment