One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

One hour at a time

I love food! And I love it so much that coupled with my constant hunger as a lactating/breastfeeding mother, and bouts of depression throughout my adult life (where I'd eat often only meal a day because all I wanted to do was crawl under a rock) I'm overweight. And I need to do something about it. For me. For Hubs. And for Tot and Daredevil. But, really for me. I'm tired of avoiding mirrors. Although I've never really liked what I saw in them anyway and that comes from 30+ years of being told/eavesdropping (yep, I've done my fair share of that and I'll admit it. It's amazing what you hear when people think you aren't listening!) I was ugly/fat/not good enough/never amount to anything/blah blah blah. Fill in the blank. Needless to say my self worth some days are shot. And it shouldn't be.

So, I'm working to maybe change that a little bit. I want to get healthy again and shed a few of the pounds I've picked up in the past ten years. I signed up for Weight Watchers at home. I tried originally signing up for the online stuff but got screwed on that one because it's all online and I didn't realize that one. So, that was a whole lot of wasted money. I found the at home one and bought that but dang it I want my money back from the online program that I NEVER used. Who has more than a few minutes a day to sit at a computer and look all that crap up?! Not me. Daredevil throws a fit if I even look at my computer. And the reason she's not throwing one right now is because she is conveniently occupied cleaning the floor with one of the napkins I made for the kids. It has minkee on it. And if she's not trying to wipe up the dust bunnies she's chasing Tot. So, they're both occupied for five whole minutes. It's a win-win situation in my book. Anyway, back to topic. With my love of food I've decided that I need to take this diet thing one hour at a time. I can't commit to more than that. I just can't. It's not in me so don't even tell me that I can do it for longer than an hour. I'll roll my eyes at you and visualize me shoving a bunch of marbles in your mouth. So 1 hour. That's it! I've asked one of my friends whose also doing the online program to help me kinda stay on track. Some accountability and a buddy will be good.

This morning is the first day of it all. My goals for the week are no fast food and no soda. The no fast food is hard because I haven't felt like cooking with only the little electric burner. And the soda is really hard because I now have no means of even just a little bit of caffeine to get through the bad days. And I'm not drinking coffee black. And I only have herbal teas in the house which are lovely but they are no sugary soft drink. I'll have to switch over to the teas though for my non-water beverage of choice.

So, let's get to hour 1 which is breakfast.
I had oatmeal! I put some steel cut oats in the crock pot last night because I wanted to try that and see how it was. I didn't put enough water in because it burned a little on the top. I'm an idiot and wasted something really good. But, the oatmeal that didn't become a nasty hard crust was really nice looking. So, I'll be doing that more often I think. And I have enough leftover for at least two more breakfasts. Here's what my bowl looked like after it was doctored up....


I had Daredevil try a little bit before I added the nuts in and she kept coming back to taste it so that was pretty cool. One of my kids likes oatmeal. Yay! I actually like oatmeal and will have it for dinner on occasion.

Fruit and Nut Oatmeal (for a whopping 17 points for anyone counting)
1/2 cup cooked steel cut oatmeal
2 TBSP ground flaxseed meal
1/4 c. dried cherries
1 oz. walnuts
1/3 c. oat milk unsweetened (we're on the dairy free bandwagon again)
1 TBSP. sugar

This was honestly very good. I've already drank a liter of water though and am still hungry. But, this recipe for breakfast is definitely a keeper since it tasted good. And I like that the oat milk just kind of blended in with the flavor and that I was able to help keep the oatmeal from being dried out nastiness. I'm going to package up the rest of the oatmeal so it's ready to grab and heat. I'm leaving out the nuts though so that Daredevil can try it before I add them in. I'd like to keep her liking oatmeal. The sugar is a lot but again I just want food that tastes good. With that Daredevil is pulling on my shirt so it's time to go. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment