One Green Mama

One mom trying some green living and enjoying food and cooking.

Pin It!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

More lazy enchiladas

Remember my previous crockpot enchiladas? Well, I made them again because I need some comfort food. It was a particularly rough week in my little world as I've been a bundle of nerves as well as tired as well as caring for two children who've been sick. So, enough was enough and I decided that with my fall again off the dairy free bandwagon that I was going to have one last bender for a while with that which I love so much. And that I am doing. I have enough leftovers for 4 more meals I think. And this is crazy-lactating-woman-I'll-stab-your-hand-with-a-fork-if-you-even-look-at-my-plate size meals. There's no pic because I just didn't think to take one while I was in comfort food bliss last night.

Here's the second version (which could feed a house full of perpetually starving teenagers)
The shopping list is:
2 lbs ground beef (or chicken or whatever it is that's on sale that you want)
2 ginormous sweet onions (I'm talking about those suckers that are almost as big as your head. They're sweet and mild but add a great flavor and texture)
4 cans enchilada sauce
3 cans of tomatoes with chilis or fire roasted with garlic
1 small bag of frozen corn
1 small bag of frozen black eyed peas
1 lb bag of shredded cheese or the brick if it's cheaper and shred it yourself
Sour cream for garnish
Olives for garnish (optional)

To make:

Cook the meat and diced up onions together until the meat is barely pink and set aside for a few minutes to cool.

Spray your 6 qt crock well so you don't burn anything. Burned enchiladas would be a sad waste of food.

Then layer in the crock:
corn tortillas. (I put 4 on each "layer")
a couple TBSP enchilada sauce
2-3 big cooking spoons of the meat mixture from above
2-3 TBSP fire roasted tomatoes with garlic or ro-tel (I used both)
a couple TBSP enchilada sauce
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 frozen black eyed peas
couple handfuls of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (from a 1 lb bag).
Repeat this 2-3 more times. Put on a final layer of tortillas and the rest of the cheese from the bag which should be about two cups and the rest of the can of enchilada sauce. (I think I had half a can at the end).

Set on high and let it cook 3-4 hours. Garnish and chow down.

Now, you may notice when it comes out of the crock it's a little runny. If it's too runny for you put a couple tortillas on the plate before you serve. There's a reason for this madness.... In the event you should have leftovers, which I'm lucky enough to have for the next couple days, the enchiladas are reheating perfectly because I put enough liquid in this time. Last time I didn't feel I had enough. For the reheat I put two extra tortillas in my bowl and scooped the enchiladas on top and got it hot that way. I put my sour cream and olives on top and I am in heaven. I only spent $6 in ingredients because most of it I had already in my pantry/freezer. My mom bought me the meat before she left because she was afraid I was going to starve if I was going through a week of no cooking. I'm not starving. For a little effort there's a lot of bang for the buck.  So, there you have it. Oh, and this easy makes twice what my first efforts made. So, for normal non-lactating folks this would easily feed at least 8-10 people. If you added some beans on the side you could make this stretch very easily to feed your own mini-army. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment